‘Tis the season for shopping! And what better place to make your holiday purchases than in Santa Fe, named the best city for shopping by readers of USA Today 10 Best!
For those of you who have stayed with us or wandered through our lobby, you know that the Shops at La Fonda and many other Santa Fe shops have display cases here. Throughout the year, store owners and their staff work to show off their latest treasures and inspire visitors to take something special home. So we wondered, what makes a good display? To find out, we talked to two of our Shops at La Fonda retailers.
Tom Taylor’s Top Tips:
- Less is more.
- Don’t be afraid to display goods in asymmetrical patterns instead of lined up in even rows.
- Work with seasonal colors. Bright in summer. Earth tones in fall.
- Show off a good varietal mix of wares. For us, that means purses & jewelry for women, belts for men. Styles that are western and styles that are a little bit Texas.
- Diamonds ARE a girl’s best friend and always eye-catching.
Street Feet’s Top Tips:
- Whatever products you choose, make sure you have a good inventory because your display will have people coming in and wanting those pieces.
- Change the display often.
- Work with the seasons and latest styles for the season.
- Make sure your shop name and location is prominent so guests know exactly where to go to buy what has caught their eye.
- Cater to the crowd that’s in town. For example, during the International Folk Art Market we show off our Pikolinos Authentic Maasai shoe designs.
And there you have it. A little insight into the minds behind the retail displays at La Fonda. Next time you’re strolling through our lobby, don’t forget to take in the many treasures on display. We’re sure you’ll find something you won’t be able to leave Santa Fe without.